Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Where will we get our batteries?

If you don't live in NYC, this post may make no sense to you, but if you have a commute long distances on the subway, you are no doubt familiar with the folks selling batteries and other assorted junk on the train. This may be a product of my conspiracy leaning mind, but I have noticed lately that the battery folks aren't as bold as usual and was wondering if the cops have been cracking down? I ride the same train and see the same little Asian ladies with their batteries everyday. They used to be bold, belting out their warning cry of 'baaaaaaaaaaaaaterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss' and shaking noise-makers so even if I fell asleep I would hear them coming from the other end of the car. These days they keep their wares almost hidden and their announcement demure, so you almost don't see them til they are on top of you.

They look gun-shy lately and I can't help but assume there is a reason for this. I pray they are left alone because batteries are expensive and inconvienent and expensive to buy elsewhere. Please leave the battery sellers alone.

No comments: