Saturday, January 05, 2008

I'm trying not to, but I'm getting sucked back in...

I left New York at the beginning of last year. I love New York. I mean, I really, really, really love the City. But I needed to get out of the office. I'm not really an office person and I needed to be wandering about, geeking out over science stuff in the wild.

So I went. And it has been up and down, with pluses and minuses, but one thing that has been lovely has been getting away from all the stupid politics. I've been stuck out on a boat and got to go through last year without having to listen to any of the pre-election crap. I hate seeing Christmas decorations and whatnot before Thanksgiving, and I don't like like campaining a whole stinking year before an election.

I want to be a head-in-the-sand kind of fellow. I really do. I want to hide and leave the world behind. I want a little house on stilts in a remote swamp, and I'll paddle around carrying a shotgun and have a parrot(or macaw or cockatoo) which sits on my shoulder. I'll point the gun silently at anyone I find in the swamp until they cry or start confessing their sins and the parrot will speak only cuss words and scream them loudly whenever it is in the presence of children.

But I don't have a parrot or a swamp to myself(the gun... that I can get my hands on), and if I can't ignore the world with style, I'm going to scream at the top of my lungs put in my two cents.

I'm not ready. All the stupid fucking campaign crap is mind numbing. They turned on the debate tonight and I stupidly am still sitting here listening to this crud. The republican part was painful. Straight stupidly painful. They way they talk about immigration has is all about fucking bigotry. They just kept talking about building fences and sending THEM back to where they came from. Get rid of them damn Mexicans. Blah fucking blah blah blah.

The Democratic stuff is a bit better, but I'm still going to leave now and go to the bar and drink and know that I'm making the right choice.

I'm tentatively going to start railing about politics again, but I can't do it now. Not yet. I need a drink first.

No comments: